This month, we would like to share our appreciation of the unsung heroes of veterinary practice – our wonderful reception team!
This year, the British Veterinary Reception Association (BVRA) is launching an annual Veterinary Receptionist Appreciation Day on October 1st 2019. It will celebrate the valuable contribution of veterinary receptionists who are at the forefront of dealing with the public.
Many people are unaware that a veterinary receptionist is often the first person that deals with an emergency over the phone. They must also talk to clients experiencing a wide range of emotions. In fact, their role is demanding and diverse and includes:
- Answering telephone calls
- Greeting clients and their pets
- Answering pet care queries
- Booking in appointments and procedures
- Dispensing medicines
- Keeping the waiting room well-stocked and tidy
- Ordering pharmaceuticals and maintaining the dispensary
- Updating client records
- Supporting bereaved owners
- Arranging pet insurance cover, and practice health club memberships
All of our receptionists hold, or are working towards, a Bronze or Silver level Accredited Veterinary Receptionist Award with the BVRA. The BVRA is an organisation that aims to raise the standards and status of veterinary receptionists nationwide. Our team have also completed specialist training in dispensing and client care. We are immensely proud of the knowledge, compassion and dedication of our reception team.
We believe that all vet receptionists deserve a bit of extra thanks, so please take the time to share, and use the hashtag #VetReceptionistThanks