Our graduate development program is a structured 2-year supportive practical program providing new graduate veterinary surgeons with the skills needed to grow and develop their own careers within our small animal practice.
Graduate Development Programme
A structured program to develop all aspects of your clinical work. You will be allocated a personal mentor to provide one to one support and advice, and as a team we will work together to help you complete your RCVS VetGDP
Graduates will be enrolled on to the XLVets graduate training program which consists of 56 hours of CPD over 8 days throughout the year, covering all aspects of clinical and professional skills
Who we are
We are a growing entrepreneurial vet group with a caring mentoring approach that strives to create a happy workplace. Easy access to the practice owners and a supportive environment allows our team to pursue their interests and optimise their work life balance.
We are an independent mixed practice covering 6 branches throughout Leicestershire and Rutland. We pride ourselves in excellent patient and client care and are looking for a new graduate who is willing to work hard and become part of our team to continue this ethos.
We encourage both individual and team development through monthly practice meetings, client education evenings and both on and off-site CPD. We have 7 certificate holders in the practice including an advanced practitioner in small animal medicine. Our friendly, sociable team are all willing to share their knowledge and expertise.
As a member of the XLVets community we work together with other practices, sharing ideas and learning new skills.
Are you the right candidate?
We are looking for forward thinking, self-motivated individuals to join our team.
In return we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Employee assistance programme
- 5 weeks holiday (excluding bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Full VDS cover
- Staff discount scheme
- Generous CPD allowance
- Paid RCVS fees
In addition to all the above you have a four day week to ensure you have a great work life balance
Companion Animal Programme
Initial induction week with your mentor to introduce our practice, our management software system, the products on our shelves and common consultations.
Daily hospital rounds to ensure the whole team is involved with case management and to provide teaching and support where required.
- Structured learning based around your own cases and the RCVS VetGDP
- Introduction to out-of-hours 1:5 rota with an experienced vet as support
- No sole charge for the first six months or until you are ready
- In practice learning – you will work on both the day time and the out of hours rota, gaining your own cases and regular clients. This will include both consulting and operating time
- Daily support from the whole team, all of which are easily approachable and keen to help
- Weekly catch ups and monthly meetings with your mentor
- Targeted monthly practical goals
- Access to all the usual tools, blood machines, x-ray, ultrasound, endoscopy all in a modern well-equipped practice
- Monthly clinical meetings with the whole vet team
- Enrolment on the XLVets graduate training scheme which includes both clinical and non-clinical topics as well as an additional external mentor to help and guide you for two years
- Continued support in practice after a review of your first year to pinpoint areas you wish to improve on or expand your knowledge in