Spaying female cats:
Cats can be spayed from four months of age. Prior to spaying your cat should have a health check with the vet to ensure she is healthy and they are happy for the procedure to go ahead. There is no benefit to your cat of having a litter before she is spayed.
The main advantages of spaying your cat include:
- Stops your cat having unwanted pregnancies
- Stops the development of cancer of the ovaries and uterus
- Stops her from coming into ‘season’ frequently
Castrating male cats:
Cats can be castrated from four months of age. Prior to castration your cat should have a health check with the vet to ensure he is healthy and they are happy for the procedure to go ahead.
The advantages of castration:
- Prevents him from fathering unwanted kittens
- Makes him less likely to fight with other cats and therefore reduces his chance of getting feline AIDs (FIV) which is spread by bites
- Less likely to spray urine in the house